Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Excel to Pipe delimited

As part of my work I got an Excel file today. We had to convert it into Pipe delimited file and upload it. Normally the reverse is easy ie converting from Pipe delimited file to Excel. I was under the impression that this also would be easy and started the work. Half an hour later I was frustrated and googling all over the place trying to find the solution. I was looking at scripts add ons and what not.
Suddenly our of the blue the simplest solution came from a user in a forum. Simple and utterly effective
1. In the excel file find and replace all commas into a special character *

2. Convert the excel file into a CSV file Comma seperated file

3. Open it in notepad and find and replace all commas into Pipe |

4. Find and replace all the special characters * into commas.

Voila you have the Pipe delimited file ready. Sometimes you need to think simple. Thanks to the guy in the forum

No comments:

Post a Comment