Saturday, December 19, 2009

GVB Homecoming Baltimore


Ever since coming to the US my desire was to attend one GVB homecoming, One Broadway musical and one classical concert. The first one on the list was ticked off when we went to the GVB Homecoming in Baltimore.The concert was on 12th December. It was a Saturday and we planned to leave some where around 10. As usual we woke up late and started at 1 and by the time we bought something to eat it was around 1.30.
From here to baltimore its around 3.30 to 4 hours and for a guy whose maximum drive previously was an hour this was a great feat. We started without any incidents and without any of my usual wrong lane problems. It was around 5.30 when we reached baltimore and we checked into the Homestead studio suites.
The concert was at 6 and we started around 6.30 from the place. Just when I started the car I realized that the ticket did not have the address and after going to the reception guy I got it. We reached the arena around 6.50 and to my chargin I realized that there was no parking nearby, I crossed the first Mariner Arena where the concert was passed two blocks and turned into a one way street. Thanks to a cabbie who warned me I turned about then retracted the same path and realized that there was a parking lot opposite the arena itself thanks to the missus.
I parked there and we rushed into the areana. My main fears were the concert would be half over and how long my son would allow us to stay there. We punched in our tickets got the flash lights and rushed into the arena. To our great relief Linda Randle was singing there. She was finishing with "Through it all" and then Bill Gaither came out and started the crowd singing. The lights dimmed and then the notes of "Alpha and Omega" came out and it was the GAITHER VOCAL BAND. I was waiting for this moment and was not disappointed.
Wes Hamption,Michael English, David Phelps,Mark Lowry and Bill gaither. They redid a couple of their favorites Satisfied,Journey to the sky,It is finished,Daystar,The love of God. It was odd to see 3 tenors. However the arrangments were different and Bill tried out different combinations. Gene Mcdonald of the Florida boys joining for Hide thou me. Our favorite was Glorious impossible.
I am normally not a big fan of Michael English. However my views went for a toss in this concert.Michael gave a very brief testimony. One of his quotes stuck in my mind. "Our God is a God of second chances". When he sang Daystar I was impressed and I began to understand why so many people go crazy when he sings. Wes was his usual impressive self. Mark, well you can never put down mark and he introduced the vocal band as the recycled Gaither vocal band. He remarked that as he grew old he is not able to run around his brain any more. Bill Gaither was his usual self and he got carried away during the Christmas sing along. He also payed the piano for Hide thou me.
David phelps was the stand out and when sand O Holy night. My, you have to listen to this guy live. I mean I have seen him singing O holy night hundreds of times(DVDs, Youtube). He blew the audience away when he sang it at the end.
There was a break in between and i went out with my son to get some snacks. There was a commotion and I turned around and saw it was david phelps. He was immediately surrounded by people. He patiently signed autographs posing for photographs. The thing that struck me all of them were simple and great in interacting with Fans. David had to tear himself away during the break. He did it with a smile in his face. After the concert was over other than bill , mark and wes everyone else was at the products table obliging all the fans with photos and autographs. Though I wanted to take a photo with David and Kevin I did not because as usual I was a little bit reluctant.
Over all it was a very uplifting experience and I will post more about it later

No comments:

Post a Comment